I have been buying MSG-free chicken broth powder from the health food store for quite a while now. I use a LOT of chicken powder in my cooking and it was getting rather expensive! So…I went on a hunt to find a recipe to see if I could make my own. Guess what….I found one! I tweaked it a little and it works great! I can make it for about half the cost of the store-bought stuff.
I found that if I buy some of the ingredients (mainly the yeast flakes), I can save even more. I bought the yeast flakes and rice protein at our health food store here and I can get both of these cheaper online.
I put all the ingredients into my little 2-cup salad chopper and blended it up. I store it in a pint jar with a lid. Then you use only 1 teaspoon per cup of water to make broth. Awesome!
Yields 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/3 cups nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tablespoons onion powder
- 7 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon rice protein powder (*or sub with other protein powder)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (*or sub with Truvia)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic granules or powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Blend all the ingredients in a small food processor until powdery and mixed well. Store in a dry, airtight container. I use a pint jar with a lid and it works perfectly!
- Use 1 level teaspoon per cup of boiling water.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups of bouillon powder
- * For those following THM, this bouillon powder would work wonderfully to make your own quick sauces and gravies! I use this all the time to add flavor to soups.