I thought it would be fun to jot down some random tips and tricks that have helped me on my THM journey. There are many more that I could share and some that I didn’t think of, but this is a start. I’m sure I will have another post down the road with more! My prayer is that there is something here that will help you. Have a wonderful day!
1. I love to have my own THM pizza, but I would never use up the jar of pizza sauce before it spoiled. To remedy this, when I open up a new jar I pour tablespoon sized portions into ice cube trays and freeze. Once they are frozen, pop them out, place them in a labeled freezer bag, and store in the freezer. When you want to make a pizza for yourself, just get out one or two cubes and thaw on the counter or in the microwave. No more wasting pizza sause!
2. When making my Fudgy No-Bake Cookies or the yummy fudge recipe in the THM book, I use a small cookie scoop that holds about a tablespoon of dough. I simply scoop out tablespoon portions for my cookies and plop them onto foil to set up. For the fudge, I use the scoop to scoop out the fudge and place them into ice cube trays to harden. I then pop them, place them in a container or freezer bag, and store in the refrigerator or freezer. Using a cookie scoop is an easy way to set portion sizes for your cookies!
3. When I am wanting to have a FP wrap, I just get a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and smear it on my lavash bread (1/2 of a whole lavash), add some fat free lunch meats and lettuce and roll up. If you use some of the yummy flavored Laughing Cow cheese, this makes such a yummy wrap.
4. Quick snacks are a MUST! Many afternoons I take a half of a lavash bread and crisp it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. I let it cool then break it up into four big “chips”. Then I smear a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on top or mix up some of the yummy yogurt dip in the THM book, and have some chips and dip!
5. Having some yummy desserts that are quick to make can be a huge help in avoiding eating desserts that aren’t good for you. Take your favorite THM cake (check out my yummy FP cakes!), and some little containers with lids. Into each container add the dry ingredients for one recipe. Put the lids on, label, and store in the refrigerator. When you are wanting a cake for a snack or dessert, take a container out of the refrigerator, add in the wet ingredients, bake and eat!
6. Need a quick pizza crust? Just crisp up a Joseph’s Pita Bread, top with sauce and your favorite toppings, and broil. Yum!
7. I love to have 1% cottage cheese, mixed berries, vanilla, and NuNaturals Stevia all mixed together for a yummy FP meal. But there are times when I would like to add some fat to it and make it an S meal. An easy and yummy way to do that is to add some chocolate! In a small glass dish, mix up 1 T. coconut oil, 1 scant T. cocoa, and 1 scant T. Truvia. If needed, slightly melt in microwave so it mixes to a nice sauce. Pour over top of your mixed cottage and berries and allow to harden. Then add a few chopped pecans on top. Once the chocolate hardens, I like to chunk it up and mix it and nuts in with the rest of the ingredients. This makes a yummy S meal!
8. Are you fixing grilled hamburgers for dinner? Grilled hamburgers, brats, and salmon have become our Saturday night meal for the last several years. Partly because it is quick and easy, does not dirty a bunch of dishes, and allows my husband to help while I get baths for the kids :)! I love hamburgers too, but know that the yummy buns are not on plan. So, what I do is mix up a quick bread in a mug recipe, along with some added onion flakes and garlic powder. I bake it in a larger round ramekin in the microwave, pop it out and let it cool, then slice it in half for a nice bun for my hamburger! It tastes SO good too! Oh..and don’t forget to add some bacon on top!
9. When I am wanting something cold and refreshing to drink, I make up my own version of the Good Girl Moonshine. It doesn’t have all the ingredients that Pearl and Serene’s recipe does, but it is SO good. I think it tastes like Snapple – with that yummy zing to it! Here is how I make it: Fill a quart jar half full of water. Heat in the microwave for a minute. Remove and add a Wild Berry Zinger (herbal tea) tea bag. Allow to steep until pretty strong. Remove the tea bag and add 2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar, and several shakes of NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Powder. Then fill the quart jar with ice. Stir and taste test. Add more stevia if needed to make it nice and sweet. I LOVE this drink, especially in the summer months!
How about you? Do you have any tips to share? Share them in the comments!
Sheri’s Trim Healthy Mama Shopping List – I have created a quick shopping list with links to some of the main THM foods!
This post is linked up at Gwen’s Trim Healthy Tuesday!