Post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We eat a lot of Mexican food in our home…so when I started making our own refried beans…well…we loved them! I use them in casseroles, on tacos, as filling in burritos, as a chip dip…you name it! Enjoy!
EASY REFRIED BEANS
Yield: 9-10 cups refried beans
THE NIGHT BEFORE:
1. Cook dry beans in crockpot. Put the following in the crockpot and cook on low all night (or 9 hours):
- 5 ½ cups (or 2 lbs.) dry pinto or black beans
- About 3 1/2 quarts of water, as needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
THE NEXT DAY:
2. Place drained cooked beans, reserving bean liquid, in mixing bowl; add remaining ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste, optional
3. Blend beans with electric mixer or by hand with potato masher, adding amount of reserved bean liquid until beans are the consistency desired.
4. Serve beans as main dish, in burritos or tostados, or as a side dish. If desired, top with grated cheddar cheese; heat in oven to melt cheese.
These refried beans freeze well. Freeze in meal sized portions and you’ll have beans ready for your burritos, tostados, or Mexican dishes!