Post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love making homemade pillow cases for my kids (and my husband and me too). They are so simple to make and are a perfect project for a beginning sewer. When my youngest daughter turned 2, we moved her into a toddler bed. This meant it was time for a pillow…and her very own pillow case. I had made a couple different pillow cases for my older children and decided it was time for my 2-year-old had one too.
So…our next trip to Wal-mart, I let her pick out some material for her pillow case (this pillowcase is shown above). My kids love the flannel material..it is so soft. But you can use any type of fabric you like. You can also watch for material on sale. Holiday fabrics go on sale right before and after Christmas. Sometimes you can get fabric for $1.00 a yard, making this a very inexpensive gift!
I thought I’d share the directions here for those that might want to give these a try. They make great gifts. There are so many pretty fabrics you can choose from too. Have fun! OK..now for the directions:
What You Need
1 yard of fabric (42″-45″ wide)
straight pins (I sew mine without pinning!)
How to Make It
1. Match selvages together, rights sides together. Pin sides and one end.
2. Sew, using 5/8″ seam allowance, one end of the pillowcase closed.
3. Sew along the selvage side.
4. Fold over the open end 1/4″ from the top (wrong sides together). Sew along this edge.
5. Fold over 3″ from the top (again to the wrong sides). Sew along this edge. (If you have a fancy sewing machine that does pretty stitches it is fun to do this in a pretty stitch!)
6. Turn pillowcase right side out and press with iron.