One area in your home that can tend to get quickly out of control is cleaning. Most of the time, it isn’t that we don’t have the time or desire to clean our home, but we simply don’t have a plan or a system in place to get it done.
I know my days get busy and if I don’t have a plan in place for getting cleaning done, I will forget. Over the years I have changed around my own cleaning schedule and tried different things. So don’t be afraid to try a system to see if it works, and then tweak it as needed.
Over the next several posts, I am going to be detailing for you a step-by-step plan for how to get a cleaning schedule in place. If you are struggling in this area, then follow along with me. In each post I will give you some action steps to take so that by the time we are done you will have a cleaning system in place that works for your family!
Ready? Here we go!
STEP 1: Make a Master List of Cleaning Tasks
The first thing you will need to do is to make a complete list of all cleaning tasks that need to be done on a daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal or yearly basis. This list is very important so make it as complete as possible. To get you started, I will list some ideas under each heading so you can see what I mean.
Here are some ideas…
- Vacuum or sweep
- empty trashes
- Clean Bathroom Sink
- Clean Bathroom tub/shower
- Clean bathroom toilet
- Wipe down appliances
- Wipe down kitchen counters
- Knock down cobwebs
- Dust light fixtures
- Clean dishwasher & washing machine
- Clean windows
- Clean walls
- Clean gutters
- Vacuum vents and ducts
- Replace furnace filter
- Clean carpets/rugs
This is obviously not an exhaustive list, just some ideas to get you started.
Now it’s time to start making your own list!
STEP 1: Action Steps
- Go through every room in the house and write down everything that needs to be done in that room for it to be clean
- Now go through that list and give each item a time frame (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.).
- Create a form on the computer (or simply write on a piece of paper) with each of these headings: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Seasonal/Yearly.
- Transfer your cleaning list over to this form by placing each cleaning item under the correct heading.
That’s it for Step 1! Next time we will talk more specifically about how and when you will be accomplishing all these cleaning tasks. See you then!