Our Giving Jar – A Family Project
Post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A “Giving Jar” is a fun project for the whole family to get involved in and can be started any time of the year. Once you have made your “Giving Jar”, begin to fill it up with money. Here is where the fun begins! There are LOTS of ways the jar can be filled up. Children can give part of their allowance…give up going out to dinner and put the money you would have spent into the jar…do extra jobs and put your earnings in the jar…I’m sure you can think of many other ideas that would apply to your own family. Decide on a goal…a time frame…as a family for filling the jar. Then decide on what this money will go towards!
Here are some ideas of what you could do with the money from your “Giving Jar”:
- start at the beginning of the year and then around Christmas empty the jar and donate the money to a charity of your choice
- use the money to buy gifts for a needy family
- decide to support a missionary on a monthly basis
- purchase items to fill up shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child
These are just a few ideas to get you started. I’m sure you can think of more ideas as you look around you and ask the Lord to direct you to a project.
To make the jar you will need the following:
- 1 quart jar with a new lid and ring
- 1 page of 2”x4” mailing labels (the kind with 10 labels on a page that you can run through your printer)
- Some ribbon
Print these labels on one page of 2” x 4” blank mailing labels. Peel off the label you want to use and stick it to the side of the jar. (The extra labels can be used to make more jars, or saved for another year/project). Use some pretty ribbon to tie a bow around the top of the rim. Keep your jar in a place that you will see it often throughout the day…and enjoy watching it fill up!